Your translator from English and Spanish into GermanI was born and raised in Germany but have been based in the Western Cape of South Africa since 2010. I am a university-trained translator and certified German teacher and work as a freelance professional near Uniondale. I spent several years in the Amazon region of Peru and in Manchester before settling down in South Africa where I co-founded and ran an eco-lodge before starting my own translation business in 2014. I am a member of the German Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators (BDÜ) and served on the council of the South African Translators' Institute (SATI) from 2018 to 2021.
My qualifications as translator and language instructor- University degree as Spanish and French to German translator, Heidelberg University, Germany, 2000-2005
- Certificate to teach German as a foreign language, Goethe Institute, 2005-2007 (Methodik und Didaktik des fremdsprachlichen Deutschunterrichts)
Ongoing professional developmentI like to hone my skills and explore new areas. Some of the training I did in recent years includes:
- 2022: SEO Translation, Kolibri Online GmbH- 2021: Online Monitoring - effective monitoring in German online courses, Goethe Institute
- 2020: Besser Übersetzen II - intensive course for literary translators from English into German with Dr. Ina Pfitzner, BücherFrauen- 2020: Online Tutorieren and Online Moderieren - training for online German tutors, Goethe Institute
- 2018/2019: Betriebswirtschaftslehre und betriebliches Management - intensive economics course at Fernuni Hagen- 2017: Transkreation - intensive transcreation course with Nina Sattler-Hovdar
- 2016: Besser Übersetzen - intensive course for literary translators from English into German with Dr. Ina Pfitzner, BücherFrauen- 2015: Introduction to Marketing and Marketing in a Digital World - both via coursera.org
Close to my heartSometimes I need a break from translation and teaching. For me, nature is one of the best places to relax and recharge. That's why I love spending time at Blue Hill Escape, a beautiful private nature reserve near Uniondale, South Africa. Blue Hill borders onto the Baviaanskloof Wilderness Area and forms part of a larger conservation area: http://bluehillescape.co.za/
Another way to relax from all that heavy brain work is baking delicious bread - an almost inevitable pastime for a German without a bakery nearby.
I spent several years on and off in the Peruvian Amazon where I fell in love with the rainforest. If you would like to help protect the world's rainforests with your signature, a donation or otherwise, please consider the great work of Rainforest Rescue: https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/